Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tuesday afternoon catch-up


At 4:30 it's 73 degrees and the sun is still bright.

Tomorrow is Recyclables Day.



TODAY


The Orioles appeared,


the "Saucer" Magnolia at the Whites' home on White Street is covered with huge blossoms,



the tulip bed in front of the Library is picture perfect,


and I stopped to admire this Spring Garden on Madison Street.



The Village DPW was spreading topsoil along the scraped-down edge of Osborn Avenue.

That will make a lot of people happy!

*******

IN THE MAIL

From Doris Stephan for

THE WATERVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY BOOK DISCUSSION GROUP

"The Book of the Month is

Pulitzer Prize winning 'A Thousand Acres,' by Jane Smiley.





Call the Library at 841 4651 to reserve a copy
and meet at the Library on Wed, 25th at noon time.

Bring your lunch, drinks and dessert are provided.


*********************


From Harry "Bud" Dorr, a copy of his "Letter to the Editor" as it appears in today's issue of The Waterville Times:

"Since my recent letter appeared in The Waterville Times on May 4, I have had numerous phone calls and “street conversations” of support from residents and taxpayers in the Waterville School Community. My write-in candidacy for a school board seat will be an uphill battle with three candidates for the three open seats already appearing on the ballot for the May 17, elections.

Many of you know me and know what I stand for. For me, the nine years I previously served on the WCS Board of Education were about students, first and foremost. That is still what I am about and is what my platform is based upon.

It is no secret that I do not support the current direction of our central administration office. Too many times I’ve heard and seen things that sadden me about our direction. We have lost some very good people and almost lost others. The resignation of our long time Business Official, Charlie Cowen, was a huge loss to this district and one I believe could and should have been avoided. Another near casualty from the business office was Linda Hughes. Luckily, with public outcry and courage of some BOE members this loss was prevented. I think it is time we reverse direction and return our schools to a place where a collective and collaborative environment is restored. I stand for change and will do everything I possibly can to lead that change. After talking with Shana Pughe and listening to her speak at previous BOE meetings, I believe she will make a great BOE member. She is intelligent, articulate and mature beyond her years. I truly endorse her candidacy. When considering your votes please ask yourself if you like where our schools are headed or do you want to see change. Then decide who you will cast your votes for.

As I mentioned, there are three candidates that will appear on the ballot for May 17. I ask that you consider me a fourth, as a write-in candidate for one of those three positions. Your vote would be most appreciated. If you consider me, you must vote for only one or two of the three that appear on the ballot. Ask an election official at the registration table how you can do a write-in vote.

Never again should a parent feel that their only recourse for problem resolution is through the State Education Department, the Utica OD, or over the radio airwaves. Enough! With your help we can return our schools to a place where we are all proud to say Waterville Central Schools are the best.


Bud Dorr

Resident and Former WCS Board of Education Member "


***************************


Voting will take place one week from today


MAY 17TH


8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.

***************************

PLEASE NOTE

that I have corrected an error that I made in yesterday's post: the candidate for School Board is NOT Seena Pughe, but it is her daughter, Shana.

***************************


WCS SPORTS for WEDNESDAY


4:30PM
Boys VARSITY TENNIS

Waterville Central School
@ Mount Markham CSD

4:30PM
Girls VARSITY TRACK AND FIELD

Waterville Central School
@ Westmoreland High School

4:30PM
Girls MODIFIED TRACK AND FIELD

Waterville Central School
@ Mount Markham CSD

4:30PM
Boys VARSITY TRACK AND FIELD

Waterville Central School
@ Westmoreland High School
Westmoreland High School


4:30PM
Boys MODIFIED TRACK AND FIELD

Waterville Central School
@ Mount Markham CSD


***************



COMING EVENTS OF LOCAL INTEREST


Something for Everyone


MAY 14, 15


"New York Heritage Weekend"


"Hit the Trail at Trenton Falls" from the O-D.


.......


FOR THE RECORD



Tom said it first!

The next blog post will be late Thursday, unless ..........

No comments:

Post a Comment